Tuesday, November 15, 2016

JCBOE superintendent participates in final board meeting



Bart Reeves

By Danielle Wallingsford Kirkland
Jackson County Board of Education Superintendent Bart Reeves served in his last board meeting before Kevin Dukes takes office last night.
Reeves said he felt it best that that be his last meeting so Dukes would have time to conduct interviews, make recommendations to the board and have time to prepare ideas for his first meeting after he is sworn into office in January.
Reeves made the following statement about hi s time in Jackson County:
“This has been a wonderful, wonderful experience.  I have met some great and wonderful people in this county. As I told the board at the beginning it was a win win. If I won the election it would be great … if I didn’t that’s fine too because picking up 16 months of experience as superintendent again that was a win win for me and I don’t leave bitter. I don’t leave upset or angry or anything like that. I came here to do a job and I think I’ve done that from day one  … and I will continue to do that up until  Christmas or the official day we transition to a new administration.
“Some of you might wonder about Mr. Dukes and my relationship. In my opinion when there is a transition of power …it needs to be smooth … in this situation this is in the best interest of the kids and it’s in the best interest of the employees and that’s the way I look at it and that’s the way I have looked at it since March.
“Mr. Dukes and I have gone together to some of the superintendent meetings over the past several months. He has asked me questions here and there about different things and I have consulted with him about different things that would affect his administration going into the future, because when you get right down to it that’s the right thing to do and that’s something I believe in. I’m fortunate to say I was raised by really good parents. They wanted me to do right they wanted me to be honest and I think I have done that.
“ I’ve had to make some very difficult decisions over the past year and they were hard to make, but when you’re given the evidence and given the information you are supposed to act on it folks, when it’s in the best interest of the employees and when it’s in the best interest of the kids. I believe I have done just that. It’s been a collaborative effort among the supervisors, among the board attorney and among the board and I don’t lose any sleep and I haven’t lost any sleep.
“’I’m going to leave this position and I feel like the school system is better today than what it was when I inherited it and hopefully in four years, as Mr. Dukes  is possibly running again, I hope he can say the same thing, it’s better four years later than when he first inherited it. We want it to become great. We don’t want to become complacent. If we become complacent we are not really looking out for the best interest of our kids, looking out for new ideas and how to make the school system better.”
The board’s next meeting will be held January 3.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Jackson Journal . All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig