Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Incumbent commissioners defeated, veteran school board member to remain

History was made once again in Jackson County last night as the county's two Democratic commissioners were ousted by Republican opponents.  
District 3 commissioner Dennis Miller was defeated by opponent Melinda Gilbert. Gilbert earned 12,392 votes, while Miller earned 7,726.  
Gilbert said she was looking forward to serving the county and hopes to bring new ideas to help solve the financial crisis. 


Newly elected commissioner Melinda Gilbert speaks with commission chairman Matthew Hodges Tuesday night at the Jackson County courthouse.

"(I look forward to) trying to bring the county out of the rut we are in," Gilbert said. "I want to be successful at that. I look forward to working with the commission. I think it's going to be a good crew to work with."
Mike Sisk won the District 4 commission seat, beating incumbent Stacy Ledwell. Sisk earned 11,363 votes to Ledwell's 8,750.  



Mike Sisk and family await the final election results Tuesday night at the Jackson County Courthouse.

Sisk, who ran for the same office in 2012, said he decided to run again after being encouraged by several county residents.
 "They put the confidence in me that I could do something for the county," Sisk said. Sisk said it felt good to win after working so hard to accomplish a victory and that he was thankful for his supporters.
"I'm very grateful," he said.
Sisk said he is looking forward to meeting with the commission next Wednesday to get a better understanding of the county's current state.   
"(I) may not know what all is in front of me ...  When the time comes we will address (the issues) and I will try to make the right decision for the people," he said.
  In the race for Jackson County Board of Education District 2, incumbent Cecil Gant defeated opponent Felix Jackson. Gant earned 8,258 votes, while Jackson came up short with only 6,338 votes. 


Jackson County School Board Member Charles West congratulates incumbent Cecil Gant on his win Tuesday night.

Gant said knowing he won was like opening a present on Christmas morning.
 "I knew we had to work hard and have highly organized groups, but I had team members that were determined that we would win," Gant said.
Gant said he is looking forward to another term.

"I would like to see music and art put in the county school systems," Gant said.  "Right now we only have two schools that have a music program. I would like to see a music program in every school."
Gant added that he would also like to see school resource officers put back in schools.
"I think it would derail some problems," he said.








SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Excellent coverage, I'm thinking this is the first time in our history that the commission members, chair excepted, that all area commission members are Republican.

    ReplyDelete

© The Jackson Journal . All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig